The first law in Newton’s laws of motion state that a body at rest tends to stay at rest. Which brings up the very important point of getting started!
It takes a lot of energy to get started. One of the challenges of working from home for me was creating pockets of focused work time. Unfortunately, my office is in the main traffic area of our house so creating this time involved support from the entire family. Some days it can feel like I’m always in a state of trying to get started, but most days we have a plan.
The goal is to create a pocket of focused time that allows for continual forward motion. Remove the obstacles, such as email, telephone, and maybe the television that act as a wall to stop your ball from rolling. Have you ever heard that express “I was on a roll”? Success means creating a daily habit of getting on a roll!
1. Pick ONE activity that will increase your success: cold calling, attending networking meetings, dropping in on current customers, increasing blog post, etc
2. Set a goal on how many and how often per week, I recommend breaking your goal down into daily bites so you’ll be attacking it with consistent daily activity
3. Book appointments with yourself to accomplish the goal
4. Manage the “appointment” by setting yourself up to get into the zone, remove distractions and have everything you’ll need at your fingertips. If your activity requires sending follow up information, I recommending making a note of it and doing that activity at the end of your appointment. Stay on task and stay focused on your goal.
5. Tracking your results will help you organize your day effectively
6. Once you’re comfortable with your weekly goal add another activity working through the same process.
Create success with daily activity!